On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 04:14, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>> Well my personal opinion is that deprecated stuff should be turned off
>> by default as well.
>
> That's how it is in Lua 5.2: the compatibility flags are all turned off
> in luaconf.h and only turned explicitly on in the Makefile.

But from what I see, compatibility flags are enabled in the default
Lua executable. In my opinion, it is just as important if not more
important for the public perception of the state of things, than the
library.

Of course, if people are using stock Lua executable, then it is likely
to be hard for them to build a new one with compatibility flags. A
runtime option (or command-line one) to enable compatibility mode, off
by default, could be a good thing in this case. But such thing would
require some extra effort from Lua team — not sure if that effort
would worth the effect.

Alexander.