On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 07:29, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Sam Roberts <vieuxtech@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm slightly baffled as to why this long conversation about unicode
>> support in lua doesn't seem to acknowledge that the features requested
>> already exist, AFAICT, see
>> icu4lua and slnunicode at end of http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUnicode
>
> No, the features I'm talking about don't exist for several reasons,
> starting from first not wanting a feature but a metamechanism where
> features could go. Stipulate everybody in this discussion could
> produce a reasonably competent userdata-based libicu binding. No,
> icu4lua is not trivial, but it is straightforward.
>
> I had in fact missed slnunicode, which implements most of string.*
> over byte-like strings in ASCII, ISO 8859-1, and UTF-8 with or without
> grapheme match. It ignores a lot of the hard stuff, which is good.
> Eyeballing it, size is hardly a complaint. On i386 Linux the object
> file is 27k (the .so bloats out to 32k). It uses the compact Unicode
> table from Tcl; although it's missing a bunch of stuff, it makes me
> look a little foolish when talking about a "big table":
>
> $ nm --radix d --print-size unicode.so  | perl -ln -e 'if (/ (\d+) r
> /) { print; $t += $1; } END { print "TOTAL $t"; }'
>
> 00019900 00007596 r groupMap
> 00027496 00000508 r groups
> 00014012 00005886 r pageMap
> TOTAL 13990
>
> In the context of this discussion, slnunicode's functionality is
> *overkill*, although it would fit nicely as an augment.
>
> It doesn't help you in the task of producing valid text or debugging
> said failure, especially when spanning module/author boundaries.
>
>> . One or both of those libraries seem to support most (all?) of what
>> has been identified as "needs" in the multiple times this topic has
>> been beaten to death on lua-l.
>
> I disagree with your "assessment", but thanks for the dismissive drive-by.
>
>> Getting lua's core to change its view of strings to being something
>> other than a byte-sequence isn't going to happen, its not the lua way,
>
> ...which is why I'm not proposing that.[1]
>
>> and its caused big problems for languages that have tried it (and not
>> just code bloat), see http://lwn.net/Articles/478486/ [*].
>
> Gosh, nobody with an interest in i18n would have any experience
> working with bytes and text in other languages. (Hint: it's right up
> there in the subject line: "what do you MISS most in Lua".)
>
> I don't think anybody is proposing Python2 or Python3's approach. I
> take that back; it may have come up because we are, you know,
> *discussing* what can be done in a way that fits the rest of Lua. I
> think Python's approach doesn't; besides, this is icu4lua's approach
> as well except it can't be as well-integrated.
>
> In my opinion, languages which treat text and sequences of bytes as
> equivalent are going to look increasingly like relics of the 20th
> Century. People want their programs to process text; this is why we
> [...]

I'm not sure where the idea of modifying Lua came from. I should note
that the original suggestion was a library that deals with UTF-8, i.e.
a module separate from Lua itself. The idea being "someone should make
such a module so that there's a good, standard implementation we can
all use and contribute to if we need it, instead of everyone writing
their own."
I suppose I overestimated just how often people actually need such a
library in the first place.

--
Sent from my toaster.