Sticking source to a defined width is definitely a good style, since
with any line wrapping source looks obfuscated.
I used 80 chars in the past too, but recently switched to 100, which I
consider adequate for today so someone can view it unobscured.

BTW: Following vim line in .vimrc will be usefull to stick to say 100
chars width, it will color red any lines that are longer:
match ErrorMsg '\%>100v.\+'