> The use of reference counting does not imply that your application
> will always crash instead of slowly leaking memory as well.

You are right. RC isn't by any means memory leak protection. Cocoa (reference counting based) apps tend to crash and leak memory as well. However in most cases recent Cocoa API returns auto-released objects, so one more often forget to retain object causing crash, then to release object causing the leak. From my experience it is like 90% crashes / 10% leaks.

> A generational garbage collector can deal with small, short-lived
> objects just fine.

Lua 5.2 does use generational GC by default now? Or it is optional?

Regards,
--
Adam