nk  it's a shame MediaWiki didn't ever pick parse->expand->serialize
as their infrastructure project instead of taping Lua on the side--and
> adding Lua as a decorator to a structured document is really easy.

I once startet to write a wiki parser that works not by regexps like
most do, but by handcrafting token building / grammar trees just like
code compilers work. I was soon been bugged down by the fact that
there is no such thing as a syntax violation in wiki markup, and you
always have the parser to go backtracking and take another way to
repair the syntax violation, of prior assumption (like a opening tag
not being closed or so). I still think its doable, but its quite more
difficult than writing a parser for a computer language.