When I write modules to wrap C++ objects, they usually have a __index
method that does a lot of string comparing, like:
if(!strcmp(key, "foo")) lua_pushcfunction(L, obj_method_foo);
else if(!strcmp(key, "bar")) lua_pushcfunction(L, obj_method_bar);
etc... I'm not sure if compilers can optimize this, but doing all
those strcmp()s every time a method/field is looked up seems terribly
inefficient.

Try Ragel[1].

[1]: http://www.complang.org/ragel/

I've attached the template I use for such occasions.

Alternatively, re2c does the same thing: http://re2c.org/ (for simple use cases like matching a string against one of several predefined constants).

 - Peter