On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:41, Roberto Ierusalimschy
<roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> If I understood the problem correctly, a variable hash seed would
> solve it, except for the skipping of characters. So, one approach
> is to implement strings using two variants: short strings (up to
> 32 bytes) and long strings.

If I am not mistaken current Lua implementation computes hash value by
iterating through a string one character at a time. Would it be faster
to iterate one word at a time (4 bytes at a time in 32bit
architecture)?  It will require changing hash function implementation
but it could speed up the calculations. Hopefully, we can still treat
127-byte long strings as short strings.

--Leo--