Please pardon me if this is a FAQ, but my Google-fu is not up to the task.

I'd like to direct io operations to a string buffer rather than a file. My goal is to write a large string, use zlib to compress it, append a header and then write it to a file. I'd obviously like to keep everything in memory until the last step. I can write a C module to handle this, or just use standard lua strings, but this seems like it'd be a frequently needed item, so I'm checking to see if there is a common implementation.

Thanks for your attention.