I've recently run into the problem of trying to truncate a file in
lua... which doesn't seem to be possible
Not only is it not covered by the standard library; its also not in lfs:(

Because of your post I noticed that this function is supported by the Apache Portable Runtime but is not included in my Lua/APR binding, so I just added it (in version 0.23.1, released today):

http://peterodding.com/code/lua/apr/docs/#apr.file_truncate

I realize that if all you want to do is truncate a file, the Apache Portable Runtime is kind of a big dependency. However, should you be using it anyway, this might help :-)

 - Peter