> > All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Again, many thanks for the report. I think that all the problems you
reported are instances of Windows failing to follow ISO C99 or even
C89. Even the problem with the precision of %a format is caused by not
following the standard. According to ISO C 99:

  a,A
  A double argument representing a floating-point number is converted [...]
  if the precision is missing and FLT_RADIX is a power of 2, then the
  precision is sufficient for an exact representation of the value;

(That was the reason we have always been reluctant to publish the test
suite for Lua. It tests both Lua and the underlying C libraries, and
quite often it fails because of the underlying C libraries.)

-- Roberto