I'll feel guilty if I let that go without context.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:

> Obliq allows closures to pass over the network,

...which leads to disaster, if not used very carefully and precisely.
Remote procedure call is a bottomless swamp of bugs, especially when
interfaces are not designed specifically for the purpose. E is a
rebuttal of Obliq in some ways.

If you're doing any kind of network/distributed computing, the famous
must-read paper is "A Note On Distributed Computing",
http://labs.oracle.com/techrep/1994/abstract-29.html [1] but in the
process of searching for it I found [2] "A Critique of the Remote
Procedure Call Paradigm" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum and Robbert van
Renesse ( http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/publications/euteco-1988.pdf ) from
years earlier.

Jay

[1]: Sun TR-94-29, Ann Wollrath, Geoff Wyant, Jim Waldo and Samuel C.
Kendall, November 1994. It is amazing how fast Oracle erased Sun's
name; it seemed like ritualized submission. Only one step from Sun to
Oracle; Modula-3 went Olivetti/DEC SRC->Compaq->HP.
[2]: Found at http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=199181 .