> I will reluctantly go ahead with a conversion to whatever 5.2 requires
> just to not be cut off from the community.

I expect that we shall still discuss 5.1 here for a long time.
We don't expect 5.1 to die the day 5.2 is out. Or at all.

> Lua appears to have a history of making breaks with the past when it
> made sense.  What may be different this time is the volume of work done
> with 5.1 that likely is greater than that done with previous versions.

This is true. Nevertheless, the things that make 5.2 different from 5.1
are not that serious for most Lua programmers, I think. After all, most
programmers are *not* using setfenv at all.