On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Kevin T. Ryan <kevin.t.ryan@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there -

I know this isn't really related to Lua per se, but I've seen people
comment on good v. bad makefiles (I thought it was somewhere in this
thread - http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2011-10/msg01068.html, but I
can't find it now).  At some point, I thought someone had mentioned
that LuaJIT presented an excellent example of a good makefile, but I'm
not sure why (or, better said, how one would make that observation).
Thus, I'm wondering if there are any tutorials / books / etc. anyone
would recommend that would help me in that regard?  Most of the
tutorials I've come across only cover the basics and I don't feel like
they go into too much detail of what represents "good practices" vs
"bad" ...

Thanks in advance, ktr

Not a book or tutorial, but required reading for anyone using make:
Recursive Make Considered Harmful, Peter Miller
http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf

Robby