Duncan Cross <duncan.cross@gmail.com> writes:
>> If you find yourself writing bit-intensive programs in Lua, perhaps
>> a dedicated C function is recommended.
>
> I disagree - I believe the recommended first-instinct now should be to
> use LuaJIT if you want to do intensive stuff in Lua. It's not always
> possible, but then custom C isn't always possible either.

It of course depends on your portability goals.  Presuming you have
the infrastructure to support a custom C function, it will probably be
more portable than an assumption of LuaJIT support.... :]

If you're fine with your code only running on x86+ppc+? then LuaJIT is
obviously a great way to crank up the speed with minimal effort!

-Miles

--
Un-American, adj. Wicked, intolerable, heathenish.