At 05:06 PM 10/12/2011, Bo Waggoner wrote:
>> A more sensible solution would be a Lua 5.0 - 5.1 migration FAQ
>As a more casual Lua user (i.e. for fun, not for work), I can
>attest that this information does not seem to be easily available
>to many Lua users. Or rather, they don't even know to look for it.

See chapter 7 in the reference manual[1] for the official
list of differences from 5.0 to 5.1. I believe a similar chapter
is found in each of the earlier revisions of the manual.

For the long view, see the HOPL III paper[2] on the evolution of Lua.

 [1]: http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#7
 [2]: http://www.lua.org/doc/hopl.pdf

A concise FAQ covering the common pitfalls caused by both migration
from v5.0 or by reading PiL1 on line would still be a good thing to
have. Personally, I joined the Lua community at about the release of
5.1, and although I did stumble over some differences I recovered
quickly by purchasing PiL2.

Ross Berteig                               Ross@CheshireEng.com
Cheshire Engineering Corp.           http://www.CheshireEng.com/