From: Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch>
To: lua-l@lists.lua.org
Sent: Friday, October 7, 2011 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: [proposal] Libary changes

> > What I propose is to create a new module named "sys", that will
> > respectively contain that data instead, like:
> >
> >    sys.argv instead of arg
> >    sys.globals instead of _G
> >    sys.version instead of _VERSION

> Do you know what that would mean to all the existing codebase... ?
> Every that uses the current form would have to change his software just
> because of your personal taste?  You can't be serious?
This is something I have seen with perl - they like double / triple approaches of
solving the same problem, after which you can use and misuse language however you want,
but also code become unreadiable sometimes. C# / .NET is truly readable code,
but again - it has quite too long namespaces, and quite long function names, after which
even basic program is not simple to write.

I think programming language should be kept on several simple use cases (e.g. 20 sample applications)
kept in same place near to each other - just to remind what were solved by that particular language.

Personally I would like to make programming language to be easily extendable in any direction.

In C++ you can override operators, declare functions, but that is pretty much it -
I would prefer to have syntax like:
        #include "perl_extension.h"
would trigger for C++ to become perl.

--