On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 05:59, Lorenzo Donati
<lorenzodonatibz@interfree.it> wrote:

> Thank you for the reply
>
> On 18/09/2011 12.31, David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>

>> Uh what? "local e" is a declaration.  It does not generate code but is
>> merely executed in the compiler.  And Lua does not recompile a loop for
>> every iteration.  That would be stupid.
>
> Yes. I didn't mean or think it generates code at every iteration, but
> doesn't the execution of
>
> local x
>
> allocate some stack space?
>
> If I write:
>
> local x
> local x
> local x
> local x = 1
>
> this is not the same as simply
>
> local x = 1
>
> i.e. even if the declarations are all in the same scope, they don't refer to
> the same stack slot (or not?)
>

>>> But recently by chance I compared the "disassembled code" for those
>>> two functions, and they look almost the same to me (the case was more
>>> complex, with more locals - I stripped it down to reduce clutter
>>> here):
>>
>>> For readability and for scope minimization I would like to use the
>>> style of f2, but I learned to use the style of f1 (predeclaring all
>>> the temporary locals used in the loop) when performance could be at
>>> stake.
>>>
>>> I cannot trace back where first I learned to do that, but I fear now I
>>> have interpreted wrongly some optimization tip.
>>
>> I guess so.  It is rather the other way round.  By importing variables
>> into blocks, you run the risk of getting upvalues.
>>
> Sorry I don't understand you here. What do you mean by "importing into a
> block"? I (wrongly) tried to optimize a loop by "pulling out" a local
> declaration from its body. The block you are referring to is the loop body?
>
> To be clear, are you saying that
>
> for i=1,n do
>  local tmp = exp -- exp computes an intermediate result
>  -- here I use tmp in other computations
> end
>
> is less risky (besides being more readable) than predeclaring tmp out of the
> loop? Did I get it right?
>

>>> Am I missing something (I'm not an expert of Lua VM so I may have
>>> missed something related to the meaning of the instructions operands
>>> in the listings above)?
>>
>> You are missing something.  local x does not generate code, it merely
>> tells the compiler something about how to generate code.  local x =
>> expr, in contrast, also has a runtime component.  It will reevaluate the
>> expression every time you run over that code when looping.  It will not
>> rethink the scoping, however.
>>

> Sorry for the doubt, but how then, if "local e" doesn't generate a new local
> at every iteration, the following loop works? Here e is an upvalue for the
> closures being created in the loop, but it appears there are three different
> upvalues (one for each closure):
>
> local array = { 'a', 'b', 'c' }
> [...]

I thought the point of moving locals out of a loop/function was to
reduce lookups and create closures, e.g. doing "local floor =
math.floor" before a loop prevents having to look up 'math' in _G and
'floor' in math every iteration.

--
Sent from my toaster.