>  For me, "cc -shared test.c" creates a library called a.out and "cc -shared test.c -o test.so" makes a library called test.so, not libtest.so.

Hm, it appears you're correct. I must have been confusing myself. I
could have sworn that the default behavior was to make libtest.so, not
test.so.

This must have to do with CMake then. In CMake I only specify that I
want to build target foo. CMake must be prepending "lib" on its own.

I'll have to figure out how to tell it to cut it out, but that's a
question for another mailing list.

(Apologies if this email got sent more than once, I thought I sent it
last night but it looks like it might not have gotten through)

Thanks

Alex