On 13/09/2011, at 5:12 PM, Alex Ames wrote:

> I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious here, so forgive me
> if this is a silly question.

I don't think it's a silly question, but I'm afraid I can't answer most of it, however,

> I could change the linux .so to not have the lib prefix, but I'm not
> even sure how to do this with gcc automatically. AFAIK it
> automatically prepends "lib" and I'd have to go change it manually
> every time I recompile.

How are you invoking cc (ld/install...)?  For me, "cc -shared test.c" creates a library called a.out and "cc -shared test.c -o test.so" makes a library called test.so, not libtest.so.

Just in case, "cc main.c -ltest" does expect a libtest.so to be available, but you usually don't link to Lua modules at compile time, and I don't think that's your problem.

Cheers,
Geoff