> For typical users, making binaries is difficult - it can easily too difficult to bother, so many will just go and use something else.

LuaJIT (and Lua) is quite possibly one of the easiest to compile C
programs I've seen... "make" and "make install" with no dependencies
to track down... quick compile time... I've been able to walk people
through it who have never programmed or used gcc before, so it seems
to be a very low barrier to entry.

I'd say what's more difficult, is explaining to novices what readline
is, why they can't repeat lines in the the interpreter, why LuaJIT
doesn't include readline by default, how to install "rlwrap", how to
setup a bash alias to open luajit with readline using rlwrap, etc.
That seems to be the trickier part of getting LuaJIT up and running
from people I have talked to.

- David