[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: [ANN] Lua build bot with Lua 5.1, LuaJIT 1 and LuaJIT 2 binaries (was "Why no binaries? - an open letter to Mike Pall")
- From: Peter Odding <peter@...>
- Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 00:42:27 +0200
About Windows (and in a similar matter OSX), it would be nice to have
precompiled binaries. But does it need to be Mike to do that? As an
OpenSource project anyone can stand up and cater for this.
In fact, a couple of us have done this at the past; I vaguely remember
doing so myself and I think Ignacio also. Somebody should undertake
to do this systematically and track the repo.
After reading your message yesterday I played around a bit with the idea
of a build bot for creating Windows binaries* of popular Lua projects. I
had the following considerations in mind while coming up with a solution:
* I've had bad experiences with cross compilation so want to build
Windows binaries on a Windows system using the Microsoft toolchain;
* I don't have any Windows installations available, although I've had
good experiences running Windows in VirtualBox;
* I want to be able to run the build bot from a cron job so that the
supported projects are automatically rebuilt and made available once in
After some hacking I now have a build bot that automatically finds,
downloads, unpacks, builds, packs and uploads the latest Lua 5.1, LuaJIT
1 and LuaJIT 2 releases. The build bot uses VirtualBox to run a headless
virtual machine with Windows XP and the Windows Platform SDK installed.
Right now I have to run the build bot manually but I plan to install it
on one of my servers later this week. I've read that VirtualBox doesn't
require X for headless operation so this should be a simple matter of
installing VirtualBox on the server, copying over the VM image and
setting up the cron job.
For more information about the project and links to generated binary
downloads see either of the following pages:
The build bot code is licensed under the MIT license and the readme
includes the following disclaimers:
* The license only applies to the build bot itself â I don't have any
affiliation with the projects supported by the build bot, I'm just a
* Should the original authors have objections against this build bot,
let me know and I will remove support for the project in question;
* I don't give any guarantees as to the published binaries. They're
generated in a dedicated virtual machine so it's very unlikely that a
virus could sneak in, but you never know until you've scanned the
I hope someone finds this useful. If you have any questions or comments
feel free to reply here or in a private message.
- Peter Odding
* I don't have access to a Mac, but if someone is willing to install the
build bot on their Mac I can see about getting the build bot to produce
Mac binaries as well.