Am Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:44:32 +0200
schrieb Stefan Reich <stefan.reich.maker.of.eye@googlemail.com>:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Christian Thaeter <ct@pipapo.org>
> wrote:
> > Don't forget to compress it, when you don't use a
> > compressed Filesystem then users will thank you.
>
> I use what I believe is the standard compressed FS in Knoppix
> (create_compressed_fs with gzip). Maybe the Knoppix makers use some
> other magic option though, dunno. I tried the 7zip option, but it
> operates at a speed of about 50k/s (yes, really), so I skipped that.
> :]

squashfs is very cool when you do readonly media, not only it
compresses well, but its also very fast and compresses filesystem
metadata and and iirc deduplicates data, it also uses parallel
compressing/decompressing on multi core cpus. I would use it hands
down :)

Otherwise for knoppix I once experimented with hardlinking all same
files, but this broke the 'installabiliy' of knoppix (one has to break
the right links when installing), I propose a schema doing this
(keeping the list whats got hardlinked and how so). I don't know if that
found the way into knoppix mainstream, anyways possibly there are some
(but not all) files hardlinked and when you remaster in the wrong way
that may well yield such a size increase (back in time my complete
hardlinking saved quite some space, thats years ago, cant remember how
much but possibly in the 15%+ Range). Meanwhile 'fdupes' has support
for such hardlinking but you have to be sure that your whole toolchain
takes care.

	Christian