Trying to sum it up:

the C- type signed or unsigned "char" is equivalent to a "byte".
A "byte" is at least 8 bits, but does not have to be that. Albeit, de
facto, one can 99%ly assume it is, so far that many started to believe
a byte is always and exactly 8 bits.
The term "octet" jumps in place to be defined to be exactly 8 bits,
but it does not appear anywhere in the C standard(s).
That the term "char" confuses to be char-acter is a little confusing
history from times there weren't ever any multibyte characters.
Lua uses ANSI C (signed) "char". therefore whatever it does, it does "bytes".

PS: Somehow i get a déjà vu  feeling on this "what is a char discussion?".