Goeff,

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Jeff Smith <spammealot1@live.co.uk> wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am already using SWIG in the embedded project I am working on.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one ;)

I have found it has some limitations, for example as far as I can see it cannot really handle arrays of data, hence my question here.

SWIG exports the STL containers like std::list etc, care to elaborate why that doesn't work?

Besides, I wanted to gain an understanding of the Lua C API, so I was happy to go with a hybrid approach, SWIG for some bindings and manuallly written binding code for some of the things that SWIG didnt handle.  So far its working out well, and its easy to mix and match SWIG bound code and manual code.

Yes I do the same (resulted in lua-icxx -- which doesn't handle arrays either ;) -- see http://lua-icxx.sf.net).

I wonder if anyone has got time to post a full user data example to contrast with the light userdata example earlier in this thread ?

Have you looked at http://lua-users.org/wiki/UserDataExample? or http://lua-users.org/wiki/UserDataWithPointerExample

Oliver