On 26/08/2011 16.31, Stefan Reich wrote:
Ah. Thanks for the feedback on that! I am going for a simpler solution
as of now, which is just to test for presence of a metatable.

When I create Lua objects these days, I am lazy and just put the
methods in the table directly. I don't know if it was smarter to do it
any other way, but it's convenient and it works. Probably memory
efficiency would be the main reason to collect things in common
metatables, right?

I'm not an expert of Lua internals, but I read somewhere that IIRC there is also a cache for metatables. Thus adding methods to individual objects may also impact performance. Not sure though.

Cheers,
Stefan

-- Lorenzo