In message <20110806185813.GA7037@inf.puc-rio.br> you wrote:

> Integers are already complete. (Any Cauchy sequence within integers
> must become constant after some index and therefore converge to that
> constant).

Very true. I should have said " ... extend the rationals in two ways"
or, to take Humpty Dumpty's masterful approach to language, I should have
included divisibility in my use of the term "complete".
Rational arithmetic seems to be another awkward spot for computers,
as it is hard to tell how big those numerators and denominators will
get.
--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/