On 04.08.2011 12:39, Alex Queiroz wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Axel Kittenberger <axkibe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> FYI, after the linux kernel finished loading itself, it starts one and
>> only one process, and thats more or less hardcoded /sbin/init. On a
>> normal desktop this process starts all the other things during bootup
>> and then your desktop envirnoment etc.. It will also keep running as
>> "mother of all proccesses" with the PID 1. If you kill init, your
>> system will shutdown, if you send it a HUP signal it will reboot. If
>> on a custom machine you replace init simply with a LUA interpreter.
>> you got your LUA-OS. Assignment complete.
>>

> Well, it depends on what one means by LuaOS. Your scheme is actually
> Linux running several Lua interpreters with one interpreter to rule
> them all. A true LuaOS would have a virtual memory manager that would
> do garbage collection as well,  allow the writing of device drivers in
> Lua etc.

Well, nobody writes device drivers in java for android (writing them
once just for the linux kernel is enough), and (almost) nobody would
want to write one. Still, anroid is seen as a "Java-based OS".

I would like to use "Lua-based OS", but then I prefer to use existing
linux device drivers (with some bindings from Lua side) than to rewrite
them in Lua. Then I could really use the same devices (tablest, phones)
which run android today. This is my view os Lua-based OS (build on top
of kernel linux with all necessary device drivers).

Regards,
	miko