On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Dirk Laurie <dpl@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> I wish to build luafilesystem to work with Lua 5.2.0-beta.
>
> I untarred the 1.5.0 tarball, changed 5.1 to 5.2 in ./config,
> made a new rockspec in which I changed the source to be a new
> tarball, made a new tarball containing these changes, and still
> saw
>
> gcc -O2 -I/usr/include/lua5.1 -c src/lfs.c -o src/lfs.o
>
> when I tried "luarocks make new_rockspec"
>
> I suspect luarocks is designed to be proof against just this sort
> of uninformed tampering by newbies.
>
> So I ask for advice.

Well, for one thing LuaRocks was not ported to Lua 5.2 yet.

However, I never tried it but it may be just possible to build
libraries for Lua 5.2 using LuaRocks+Lua 5.1. Grepping for "5.1" in
the sources, I see:

* a few instances of lua5.1.lib hardcoded in the Windows side of
luarocks/builtin.lua
* some defaults set in luarocks/cfg.lua, which are overridable in your
local configuration file, ~/.luarocks/config.lua
* the default path constructors in luarocks/path.lua, which are also
overridable by setting rocks_trees explicitly in
~/.luarocks/config.lua and passing an entry as a table containing at
least the entries "root", "rocks_dir", "lib_dir" and "lua_dir".

Let me know what happens if you give it a try! If these pointers turn
out to be unsufficient, I can try to give it a spin later.

Also, feel free to use the luarocks-developers list for LuaRocks
issues of any kind (the list is not only for "LuaRocks developers",
but also for "developers using LuaRocks" :) ).

--
-- Hisham
http://hisham.hm/ - http://colorbleed.com.br/