On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 4:35 AM, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Pascal J. Bourguignon
<pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
> But if you're a professionnal programmer and your job is to scoop the
> ocean, then avoid the spoons.  Use the industrial strength,
> professionnal tool: emacs.

The emacs vs vi war is about to break out again, so I'd like to say
that you guys have been doing tremendous stuff, state of the art for
the late 20th century.

Editors (and IDEs) have moved on.  As soon as I taught SciTE to debug
programs, I moved on from Emacs.  SciTE (and TextAdept) are
customizable using a modern language that's easy to write and read. TA
is still rather new, but it has the potential to be something like
Emacs; a small C core with most of the functionality written in Lua.
It is true that people are unlikely to read their mail in it (although
they could) but as I say, we've moved on.

steve d.
(going through an Eclipse-loving period and missing good support for Lua)

To "move on from Emacs" is not an idea that makes sense to everyone...
Let me talk a bit about my own extreme case :-). I started using Emacs
in 1994, my .emacs file has about 12000 lines (because I usually leave
old functions there instead of removing them), and practically all the
files that I have created in all these years are full of elisp
one-liners that I can execute with eval-last-sexp... and my
"customizations" are mostly functions that I can call from these
one-liners. Also, Emacs has a huge community (see the Emacs Wiki) and
lots of people there use Emacs in other funny ways, and have written
lots of code for that over the years.

If there is any interest I can write some simple Emacs primitives - see

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Writing-Emacs-Primitives.html

for creating and destroying a lua_State from elisp, and for eval'ing a
string in it... My C skills have rusted down, though, and the way to
plug that into an Emacs build tree won't be the prettiest - someone
else would have to volunteer to clean that up. So? :-)

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    eduardoochs@gmail.com
    http://angg.twu.net/