I didn't realise I could do that so I've actually hacked the LuaJIT code so
that ll_sym calls my own function to resolve the lookups.
This means that I don't need to worry about the mangled names although
calling convention is still an issue.
I have non-virtual methods working fine but still need to get virtual
methods working.

It also allows me to use ffi on the ipad but without the jit using ffi is
about 8-10 times slower than the older binding style.
Is this the expected performance gap? Would you recommend using non-ffi
bindings when jit is disabled?

> >    C = ffi.C
>
> local C = ffi.C
>
> >    local Test1_index = {Method1 = function(__this, text)
> > C.Test1_Method1(__this, text) end }
>
> You don't need the indirection with a Lua function:
>
> local Test1_index = { Method1 = C.Test1_Method1 }

Thanks. That nearly halved the size of the lua file. I also realised that
   Test1 = function() return Test1_mt(C.Test1_new()) end
should have just been
   Test1 = function() return C.Test1_new() end

> [Whenever I get around to parse a very restricted subset of C++, most of
> that will be superfluous. But don't hold your breath.]
>
> --Mike

For me personally, if FFI could handle basic classes as "interfaces" and
simple inheritance I would be happy :-)

Thanks,
Steven