On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Jason White
<whitewaterssoftwareinfo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I am trying to build lua 5.1.4 on my linux box
> and I got this
>
>> jason@jason-master-desktop:~/Desktop/lua-5.1.4/src$ make
>>        linuxmake all MYCFLAGS=-DLUA_USE_LINUX MYLIBS=
>>        "-Wl,-E -ldl -lreadline -lhistory -lncurses"
>> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jason/Desktop/lua-5.1.4/src'
>> gcc -o lua  lua.o liblua.a -lm -Wl,-E -ldl -lreadline -lhistory -lncurses
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lreadline
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lhistory
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[1]: *** [lua] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jason/Desktop/lua-5.1.4/src'
>> make: *** [linux] Error 2
>
> I ripped -lreadline and -lhistory out of the makefile and it compiles fine
> however I am curious why it requires and didn't find both of them ...

They're typically installed on most Linux system, so they're included
in the Linux target. If you don't have them, you can install them via
your favourite package manager or use one of the other Makefile
targets that does not include those definitions.

- Jim