>> I must nevertheless admit that the description for assert is slightly
>> vague:
>>
>> "Issues an error when the value of its argument v is false (i.e., nil or
>> false);..."

The explanation in parens seems absurd.  For it to make some sense, one
would have to write "is a false condition" (namely unambiguously using
"false" as an adjective rather than a noun, when the noun is used in a
different meaning in the parenthetical remark), but it is probably
easier to just write "when the value of its argument v is nil or false"
in the first place.  If an idiomatic expression is needed, "is false" is
misleading, and "counts as false" or something similar would be better.

--
David Kastrup