On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 01:29, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:16 AM, HyperHacker <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it an important problem?  People interested in serious performance
> use LuaJIT, and it isn't hard to write portable C extensions. There is
> still interesting scope for next-generation C binding generators,
> which would take a LuaJIT FFI spec and make up some C.

It's not really a problem at all :) I was just interested in the
possibility of doing everything in Lua and remaining as portable as
possible.

I've also been playing with writing a preprocessor that turns the C
source into something resembling more of a C/Lua hybrid, e.g.:
@function $(lib_name).create(integer n, string s) {
automatically sets up and exports a function, with local variables n
and s that it reads using luaL_checkinteger and luaL_checkstring. But
this approach still involves a lot of C, and some might argue it's
even worse since now you have to know this new hybrid-language.

--
Sent from my toaster.