There 's a "common" believe that jitted code can(hypoteticaly) run
even faster than compiled code..

see the famous hp dinamo(1999) for some insights..

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/1999/HPL-1999-78.html

there are optimizations in the output native binary that are only
possible with a dinamic compiler running and getting more
introspection..

so.. i think in the near future.. statically compiled code (like C)..
will eat some dust from jitted code in the benchmarks..as this happens
already in some corner cases..

so i think a real hacker .. would just embed luajit.a into its library
or binary.. and enjoy his code flying at the light speed..

luajit already create code almost fast as c (i think i saw a big
matrix multiplication other day with a lot of inner loops running even
faster than C ) and running a dinamic language..

i think soon we will be running luajit benchmarks against hand-coded
assembly just because no one else left .. :)