Thank you both for your responses! I had no idea that OS portability was in the works too! And LuaDist looks very impressive already - I will investigate further when I get home from work today.

I meant portability in the much narrower sense of "no install necessary." A rather annoying namespace collision. I have a specific interest in ditching the vc_redist.exe as some of the places I am looking to deploy Lua do not have the necessary admin rights! Or the IT professional there frowns on extra installation.