Hi Cameron,

IMHO it's good at Java, PHP, and in theory C/C++

* C/C++: http://netbeans.org/features/cpp/index.html
* PHP: http://netbeans.org/features/php/index.html

The draw, for PHP at least, is that it indexes the code and phpDocumentor comments. When you hover over some unknown function, you get the docs as a tooltip, auto-complete, and are a keystroke away from the file that contains the function. This, plus all the tools and plugins.

That said, I have much of this in jEdit with plugins for ctags and friends. It's just prettier in Netbeans. I haven't started using Netbeans regularly yet because jEdit has Lua syntax highlighting, as well as everything else I use for other scripting languages. I'm just looking for greener grass on the other side of the fence. I did find a Netbeans plugin named Lua Topping but it doesn't parse my Renoise scripts very well. It reports errors where there aren't any.

I'm not sure how committed I am to this. I just thought i'd shout into the void to see if there was interest, or existing solutions.

Those URLs again for posterity's sake:

* http://wiki.netbeans.org/How_to_create_support_for_a_new_language
* http://luaj.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/luaj/luaj-vm/grammar/

Best regards,