* Peter Cawley:

> I interpret the manual to mean that should a Lua implementation use a
> moving GC, it is only required to fix the address of strings while
> they live on the stack, and is free to move them around once they are
> off the stack.

That's my interpretation as well.  But it's mentioned multiple times
on this list that you can assume that Lua GC is non-moving, so I
expect that programmers have come to rely on this.

The implementation permission might be useful for a collector which
performs emergency compaction to reduce fragmentation, similar to
Hotspot's CMS collector.