As i see it, Lua handles Numbers. In the scripts that's what they are.
Somewhere in the docs it is stated that they are actually represented as
C floats, but that only representation, not what they are in the logic
you write.
As all representations (floats, fixed point, bignum, whatever) have
holes, if one of those holes affects your logic you have no choice but
to change representation. C floats are used in Lua because they are
portable, well defined, already implemented and widely useful. If c
floats do not represent what your understanding of what a Number is,
implement your own representation. It has been done before.

Jorge