On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> wrote:
> And I would argue that it's not detrimental to one's understanding of
> Lua, but beneficial: neophytes already know what arithmetic is, and
> aren't bamboozled by a long section in the manual on how arithmetic is
> done in Lua; those who need to know more details can go to the C
> standard which will (in the case of arithmetic) direct them onwards to
> IEEE 754.

In the Reference Manual, section 5.6 Mathematical Functions says in
its introductory sentence, "This library is an interface to the
standard C math library." But section 2.5.1 Arithmetic Operators
offers only adjectives such as "usual," no pointer to C.

Ignoring the problems with the relevant standards organizations
business models, might folks who are new to the arithmetic and maths
functions benefit if both of those sections pointed to C and to IEEE
754 for further detail?

Best regards,

Paul