On 31 May 2011, at 00:35, Valerio Schiavoni <valerio.schiavoni@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if better alternatives exist nowadays: how about the lpeg library ? Is it appropriate ?  Are there other well-known libraries to facilitate this task ?

LPEG is brilliant for small parsing tasks. Its main weakness is that it doesn't provide much help for error reporting and recovery. If the context of the code ensures that you don't have syntax errors, e.g. machine-generated strings or other tools to check for errors, then LPEG can get you a long way.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/