Thanks for your answers.

Since we're building a method-based JIT, this solution isn't exactly what
we need, but I think it may be possible to adapt some ideas from it. I
have been thinking that I could have an array of instructions in which
basic blocks are allocated with some reserve space for new instructions,
and either simply update a list of free regions when blocks are deleted,
or call some kind of compaction algorithm when the instruction list for a
method grows too large.

The main concerns I have are efficiently keeping a list of destinations
for instructions, which I think could possibly be done in a chained
(linked list) manner, and keeping a list of successors/predecessors/edges
for blocks, which perhaps could be handled similarly.

- Maxime