Not sure I understand exactly, but here is my poor attempt at solving it (poor because it has local side effects - I have to turn off the metatable, then turn it back on if tostring is the lua tostring)

local test = {
}

local function print_old_new(obj, old_tostring, args)
return "OLD: " .. old_tostring(obj) .. " NEW: " .. table.concat(args, ' ')
end

local function wrap_tostring(obj, new_tostring, ...)
   local args = { ... }
   local mt = getmetatable(obj)
   local old_tostring = mt and mt.__tostring or tostring
   return function(obj)
	     local mt = getmetatable(obj)
	     setmetatable(obj, {})
	     local r = new_tostring(obj, old_tostring, args)
	     setmetatable(obj, mt)
	     return r
	  end
end

setmetatable(
   test,
   { __tostring = function(obj) return "PRIMARY?" end }
)

setmetatable(
   test,
   { __tostring = wrap_tostring(test, print_old_new, "SECONDARY") }
)

setmetatable(
   test,
   { __tostring = wrap_tostring(test, print_old_new, "ADVANCED!") }
)

print(test)