This sounds great. It is amazing that so many things are already anticipated in LuaJIT architecture.

I must confess I thought once about using NaNs as a technique of handling dynamic types in scripting languages, then I found LuaJIT and surprisingly it was already there implemented and running.
Looking at all the innovative techniques used in LuaJIT I think all your work deserve great respect from world-wide community and spreading the news so also other languages such as Ruby (which I use everyday) or Python adopt these inventions.

NaN-tagging is indeed very cool.

Mike said in the past that NaN tagging has been used in the past, and this link here has some info

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/3912

which points directly to this document (postscript, no pdf)

ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/scheme-repository/doc/pubs/typeinfo.ps.gz