On 4/18/11 3:55 AM, Philippe Lhoste wrote:
I have just found an interesting essay on programming languages in
general, and Lisp in particular.
http://www.winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html
For some reasons, I kept thinking, when reading them, that if you
replaced "Lisp" by "Lua", it would still make sense... :-P

I've been following comp.lang.lisp, and occasionally writing since 2006, and there are very good people over there, and some really weird.

It seems to me that the article is juding comp.lang.lisp rather than all lispers out there.

I know at least one big common lisp project - the ITA Software plane tickets scheduling app. (it's Common Lisp, C++ and Java) - my understanding is Common Lisp for the logic, C++ for the storage (FFI to Common Lisp), and Java for the web interface.

Lispworks for example is quite good IDE for building UI - it's using the native widgets of the OS, and you write almost the same code for all three major platforms and few others.

I'm still thinking of writing my UI in Lispworks, and using LuaJIT through DLL for example, as I'm familiar with it (it would increase the size of the package significantly though - as the whole image would be about 4-5mb).

I've learned quite a lot from Common Lisp about dynamic languages, how they interact with others (FFI), with themselves (closures, dynamic variables, etc.). Also macroses, with- conventions, and many other things.