On 15/04/2011, at 12:40 PM, Alexander Gladysh wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 04:30, Geoff Leyland <geoff_leyland@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> On 15/04/2011, at 12:25 PM, Alexander Gladysh wrote:
>
>>> For illustrative reasons I need a Lua VM benchmark script (note: not a
>>> benchmarking tool, but a script).
>
>> There's a raytracer here: http://www.incremental.co.nz/projects/lua.html
>> (It's not intended for drawing pictures, it was just to compare Lua and LuaJIT)
>
> Thanks.
>
> You suggest that it should be modified that its output is suppressed
> and execution time measured with os.clock(), right?

Um, yes, that sounds good, why not?  I'm not sure what you want to measure :-)

> (Or os.time()? Not sure if os.clock() is available in exotic VMs.)

Or just 'time lua ray.lua 9 512 > /dev/null' if you're on Unix?

> This would do, but I would prefer something intended as a benchmark,
> so it would be more illustrative...

Fair enough.  I can't even argue it's a typical workload because I don't often trace rays.  It's also a bit odd because I deliberately avoided creating tables if I could.