On 13 April 2011 21:03, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 16:45, Robert G. Jakabosky
> <bobby@sharedrealm.com> wrote:

>>> It will probably resolve the concrete problem with the log file, but
>>> will not help the problem in general. I do need to be able to send a
>>> message to a particular WSAPI fork and receive an immediate answer.
>
>> In that case how about having each WSAPI fork read from a named pipe (see
>> mkfifo):
>> /tmp/wsapi_<pid>.pipe
>
>> You can send it a message/event by writing to that file.  You will need to
>> make the FD non-blocking, since you wouldn't want to have the WSAPI process
>> block on the read.
>
> But how do I tell WSAPI to react on pipe changes immediately?
>
> The problem here is not a delivery of the message (for which there is
> a plenty ways to do it). The problem is how to force specific WSAPI
> process to react on this message immediately.
>
> Immediately: right now if idle, right after current handler is yielded
> if not. The problem is with idle option here.
>
>> Basically your WSAPI process is going to have to listen for your command
>> messages from somewhere.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Maybe it would help if you tell use a bit more about the types of
>> events/messages that you need to send to your WSAPI process.  What time
>> constraints are there on the processes response to those messages?  Does it
>> need to interrupt the running script NOW or at a set of sync. points?
>
> No hard real-time requirements. If WSAPI is busy handling request, my
> message can wait. If it is idle, message should be processed
> immediately (OK, within a second, if you want some breathing space —
> but such large delay would be ugly, it is uncalled for).

Ok, so the processes are waiting for something from the WSAPI
connection. Do you know if this is using select() or similar? or a
blocking connection?

If the former, the typical solution is to use signals and have the
signal handler write (e.g. a byte) to a socket that is waited on with
select(). This wakes up the process and it can read the data from the
signal handler's socket and perform the appropriate action (re-open
log file, re-read config, ...).

It's on my todo to see if something like this can be integrated into
LuaSignal, but I haven't had chance to look at it so far.

Regards,
Matthew