On 10/04/2011 12.35, David Kastrup wrote:
Lorenzo Donati<lorenzodonatibz@interfree.it>  writes:

I repeat: the simple difference between "in-place" vs. "new table",
whereas important, is already stated extremely clearly in the docs and
there are almost no sources of confusion with other API functions.

Who reads docs when he can use half-baked scraps of mistaken
recollection?

Ouch! Now I feel like an old dinosaur! I thought that reading the manual was the first thing to do. The _whole_ manual. Even the parts I don't understand at first sight. Even the parts I don't understand after careful reading. Even the parts I won't ever understand.
I admit it: I'm hopeless!

"I read it in the documentation" nowadays is synonymous with "This was
somewhere in the list of random websites Google popped up before my
attention span saturated".  If you ever made a historical mistake, heck,
even if you discussed _not_ making a historical mistake, people are
going to depend on it rather on the manuals coming with your software.

Once upon a time someone told me that is the essence of RAD!

Been there, done that, got the nervous breakdown.

"What documentation would that happen to be?" "Can't find it right now,
but I am sure it was there."

Well I heard the new frontier of SW development in the new millennium would be mind-reading software!

Probably it should be mind-writing software then! But what a paradise for a virus writer! Imagine running your favourite antivirus sw on yourself because your coffee machine might have done something nasty to your brain!

But, hey, who are we to hamper the progress of mankind?!? :-)

cheers

-- Lorenzo