> Er, as a secondary note, on many systems completely-static executables
> can't access dlopen because it needs the dynamic loader to be present
> in the first place.

Right. I've just tried to build Lua in Linux with -static and got this:

liblua.a(loadlib.o): In function `ll_loadfunc':
loadlib.c:(.text+0xa6c): warning: Using 'dlopen' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

Lua built despite of the warning, ran ok, but could not load shared libraries.

Sorry for the noise then.