> Lua itself does not have Unicode support. So, if you're suggesting that this
> would merely generate the proper UTF-8 bytes for the character...hmm, that's
> actually a pretty good idea.

I second this. This should not be complicated to implement, and from
the same vein as the "\xBB" introduction in Lua 5.2.  And, while
possible, it is not obvious to write that a feature in pure Lua.
But of course, we will have to make clear that only a UTF-8 sequence
is generated with that syntax and that's all (no UTF-16 support, nor
other Unicode handling).