Table 7: Real Scenario Test
 	new/delete	static_mem_pool (default)	static_mem_pool (thread-specific)
Linux GCC 3.2.21	5.87	0.84	0.83
Linux GCC 3.4.21	5.91	2.61	0.77
Linux GCC 3.2.22	12.82	8.77	0.84
Linux GCC 3.4.22	12.73	8.45	0.76

http://wyw.dcweb.cn/static_mem_pool.htm

The improvements are quite significant. Especially in single-threaded envs.

On Apr 3, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

>> Is it worth implementing a nice caching mechanism for doing allocations inside lua_Alloc function?
>
> I think the accepted wisdom is to avoid trying to outsmart malloc.
>
>> I've done some synthetic tests, and it looks like there is a lot of improvements especially when working with android on a phone.
>
> Perhaps use a better malloc from the start then?

------
Eugen-Andrei Gavriloaie
Web: http://www.rtmpd.com